The Session Initiation Protocol Trunk (SIP Trunk) is a communications protocol for signaling and controlling multimedia communication sessions. The most common applications of SIP are in Internet telephone for voice and video calls, as well as instant messaging, over Internet Protocol (IP) networks.
The SIP trunk is a direct connection between your organization and an Internet telephone service provider. It enables you to extend VoIP telephone beyond your organization’s firewall without the need for an IP-PSTN gateway.
- A relatively new but proven technology, SIP Trunks offer voice over through your existing internet connection.
- Rather than getting a dial tone from a normal plain-old-telephone-service land line, you get your telephone service from a SIP provider over your existing broadband internet connection.
- You can cut your monthly telephone service bill up to 50% by switching to SIP trunks. Other benefits include:
- Multiple “private numbers” direct-dial numbers
- More call paths (lines)
- Lowered cost for outbound long distance calling.
- Complete Integration with the IPitomy system
- Can also be used on the NEC systems
- Less to go wrong with your phone lines